Skip to main content

Follow Me on Facebook

Chill Out!

Remember when God spoke to Elijah in the STILLNESS? (1 Kings 19:11) We've all been taught a great deal about the importance of being still to hear from God, but I was just thinking about something else regarding stillness.

In the season I am in right now, I have much more "still" time than I would like. I honestly don't remember ever having so much still time. I remember how much I used to cherish times like these and now I cherish the times I am busy! Life's funny that way, isn't it? Stillness is quite revealing. Not only does God speak to us in these times, but He reveals much about ourselves during these times as well.

For example, when you have nothing to do (I realize some of you WISH you had nothing to do--sorry about that), what DO you do? Do you watch TV, go online, read a book, talk on the phone, etc.? In our fast paced society, few know how to handle the times when they have nothing to do. Instead of sitting down and literally being still, we look for something to fill the time and stillness. It feels odd when we aren't DOING something, so we do things to keep ourselves busy. I want to present to you that these times of stillness are a gift from God! Not only does our physical body benefit from times of quiet and calm, but our spirit man is being blessed with an opportunity to go beyond itself and tap into deeper levels of awareness of the presence of the Lord and the realm around us. 

When you actually have some time to yourself, where do your thoughts go? Do they begin to worry about various circumstances? Do they focus on how blessed you are? Do you immediately think about earthly things or Heavenly things? Pay attention to what you are thinking! Our wandering thoughts will reveal a lot about places that need to be fully surrendered to the Lord and/or areas that you aren't fully trusting Him.

Instead of running to the computer or whatever else you do when you have 5 mins of quiet, let me suggest you sit down and turn your thoughts, even if briefly, to the Lord. Few people realize how many of these few minutes of quiet, they have. They are a way for you to LIVE in the presence of God! If you are having a hard time getting your mind quiet to hear from God, I have a suggestion. I learned this recently and it really works. Sit and write (type) out all of the thoughts that start popping in your head. It doesn't have to be long, just any random thought, things you are concerned about, anything that is taking your attention. You can throw it away after if you'd like! It is just a simple way to help "defrag" your mind from the clutter, so that you can be still and listen.


Comments

  1. Good stuff girl!!! I recently heard Leif Hetlamd speak on this. He says it's "the hard work of rest"! Lol! I love that because it really IS so hard to just be content in resting. But it's after the times of rest that we go on to produce more fruit. Just like after winter ( being dormant) comes SPRING! Woohoo! Get ready for much fruit! <3 Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thx Jenna! Ready for spring. ; )

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making Peace with Catholicism...and Other Religions

I remember it clearly - watching a reel-to-reel movie in Sister Patricia's second grade class. Although I don't remember why the girl in the movie was crying, I do remember the affect it had on me. My heart was gripped by the fact that I wanted to know God more. The church was close to our home and I liked to hangout there, hoping to find God. One of the priests found it so odd, he phoned my Mom to let her know I couldn't be there everyday. Guess I looked a bit like a 7 yr. old hoodlum with my pigtails and missing teeth. In the eighteen years I grew up in Catholicism, no one ever taught me the deep spiritual truths of knowing God. All I knew was to attend mass, say my prayers, and take communion. And I did - until I visited a "non-denominational" church and felt God's presence for the first time. I was wrecked - in a good & bad way. Not only did I find what I had been looking for, I also became judgmental towards the Catholic religion. They had le

Reigniting Your Destiny/Letting Go of the Past

Over and over again I've been hearing stories from people who are going after their dreams. Some are young and filled with a zeal for life that has met little resistance. I like hanging around young people, because it reminds me of what it is like to run after life with untamed passion. Others who have felt the excitement of life wane over the years, have recently met with the God who awakens dormant desires. They are taking giant leaps of faith to run after their dreams once again, regardless of cost. Living life with passion is always the right choice. My heart has been stirred to encourage you today! Many of you have been contemplating what it would be like to take a risk and go after your dreams - some for the first time, and others with renewed hope. Let me speak to those who believe that they are past their prime in life, and whatever goals and dreams they once had, are long gone. Stop believing the lie that life has crippled you! Life hasn't crippled you, it has

Loving God On Purpose

 "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. " John 14:21a When I committed my life to Jesus, I really went all out. I was so in love with Him that all I wanted to do was read my Bible, ask questions, and talk to Him non-stop. I wanted nothing to do with my old lifestyle. I remember reading this first part of John 14:21 and telling myself that if my obedience to Him would prove my love for Him, then I would be the most obedient person on the earth. (Yeah, we all can have a good laugh at that one!) However, He began to teach me that it wasn't my obedience that proved my love. Obedience without love is  a slave mentality. It was my love that naturally caused a desire to be obedient. My heart's cry to know Him more and my love-sick heart were seeds of love that would blossom into branches of a new lifestyle. My desire to pray, read my Bible, etc., wasn't done out of religious obligation, it happened naturally because I couldn't g