Skip to main content

Follow Me on Facebook

Day #1 - Embracing The New

I've been pondering the many ways we spend time with the Lord. While I firmly believe that communing with Him throughout our days is indispensable, set apart time is equally important. A marriage that didn't have time exclusively set apart for the husband and wife to be alone, would suffer greatly. The same is true in our relationship with the Lord - there must be time to be with Him, and Him alone.

Many of you know that since our move back to the States from Puerto Rico, our lives have changed drastically. In my season of adjusting to this incredible new life, I began to wonder if I was doing something wrong because my time with Him had changed quite a bit. I have found that we tend to become so accustomed to the "normal" way the Lord encounters us, that we downplay noticeable shifts, especially when the "norm" has been outrageously good. Too often we want to camp at specific encounters not wanting the present glory to lift or change. But He has promised to lead us from glory to glory! Letting go of one season, no matter how glorious it was and trusting Him to lead us is key in this amazing relationship. If every meeting, every encounter, was always the same, this beautiful friendship would become stale and boring. Realizing this has brought me a lot of freedom and I can enjoy this new juncture in my life without forcing myself to replicate an experience, the way I approach Him, or even the manner I expect Him to meet me. 

In light of some of these revelations I began to think of you, my friends, who also have burning hearts for greater intimacy with the Lord. For those of you who would like, let's journey together through some of the specific ways we spend time with the Lord, how they affect us, and how we can better facilitate what He is doing in our lives in the seasons we find ourselves. 

At first I was going to set a specific amount of time, perhaps 2 weeks, but I don't want there to be pressure in what we are doing. So, while I will write Day #1, etc., it is only to assist you in keeping track of our journey. I truly mean "our journey", because I would love for you to share in the conversation, here and/or on FB. (Either on my personal page, or The One Who Waits page.)

To start out, I encourage you to take some time and think about the many different ways you truly enjoy spending time with Him. Then we will talk about how we encounter Him in those ways. For example, at the moment, I encounter Him mostly in 3 ways: worshiping Him in song (with music playing), reading, and dancing. For others it may be through contemplation, painting, or Bible reading. I would love to hear how you spend set apart time with Him, and if you are having a hard time getting time alone with Him, feel free to say that too!

Comments

  1. Love this, we just moved back to Arizona and being on the road for over 3 years and in a different home and a different place ever 2 or 3 days aside from the last winter which we spent in cold snowy Iowa, it is hard to find a place in each place to get alone and without being disturbed. So for me it is worship music in my ears with my Ipod and my time with Daddy at night after the lights are out and where ever we are it becomes quiet. I am waiting for my own home again and our prayer room which I miss so much~ but until then I just try and escape some place and jump into my Fathers lap and love on Him. Hugs Cathy, love you bunches

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making Peace with Catholicism...and Other Religions

I remember it clearly - watching a reel-to-reel movie in Sister Patricia's second grade class. Although I don't remember why the girl in the movie was crying, I do remember the affect it had on me. My heart was gripped by the fact that I wanted to know God more. The church was close to our home and I liked to hangout there, hoping to find God. One of the priests found it so odd, he phoned my Mom to let her know I couldn't be there everyday. Guess I looked a bit like a 7 yr. old hoodlum with my pigtails and missing teeth. In the eighteen years I grew up in Catholicism, no one ever taught me the deep spiritual truths of knowing God. All I knew was to attend mass, say my prayers, and take communion. And I did - until I visited a "non-denominational" church and felt God's presence for the first time. I was wrecked - in a good & bad way. Not only did I find what I had been looking for, I also became judgmental towards the Catholic religion. They had le

Reigniting Your Destiny/Letting Go of the Past

Over and over again I've been hearing stories from people who are going after their dreams. Some are young and filled with a zeal for life that has met little resistance. I like hanging around young people, because it reminds me of what it is like to run after life with untamed passion. Others who have felt the excitement of life wane over the years, have recently met with the God who awakens dormant desires. They are taking giant leaps of faith to run after their dreams once again, regardless of cost. Living life with passion is always the right choice. My heart has been stirred to encourage you today! Many of you have been contemplating what it would be like to take a risk and go after your dreams - some for the first time, and others with renewed hope. Let me speak to those who believe that they are past their prime in life, and whatever goals and dreams they once had, are long gone. Stop believing the lie that life has crippled you! Life hasn't crippled you, it has

Loving God On Purpose

 "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. " John 14:21a When I committed my life to Jesus, I really went all out. I was so in love with Him that all I wanted to do was read my Bible, ask questions, and talk to Him non-stop. I wanted nothing to do with my old lifestyle. I remember reading this first part of John 14:21 and telling myself that if my obedience to Him would prove my love for Him, then I would be the most obedient person on the earth. (Yeah, we all can have a good laugh at that one!) However, He began to teach me that it wasn't my obedience that proved my love. Obedience without love is  a slave mentality. It was my love that naturally caused a desire to be obedient. My heart's cry to know Him more and my love-sick heart were seeds of love that would blossom into branches of a new lifestyle. My desire to pray, read my Bible, etc., wasn't done out of religious obligation, it happened naturally because I couldn't g