Skip to main content

Follow Me on Facebook

What Defines You?

Life is made up of moments. Some fill the space of seconds, while others span years; even decades. These moments—these encounters with miracles, brushes with tragedy, or pains of heartbreak eventually weave themselves together to form a lens, which we see life through. Often, they  serve as taskmasters, fighting to beat us down and strip away our hope, our dreams, and a healthy way of viewing life.

But if we take all of these flashes of pain and submit each one to God, then they must bow. They must yield. Traumas submit themselves to the omnipotence of God, who blows away the dry, crusted remains of tears and miraculously turns them into strength and joy.

Photo credit: Scarlet Lily Photography
Scarlet Lily Photography
The very fabric of our being and the way we interact not only with others, but with our own thoughts, viewpoints, and expectations, is altered when we surrender the collection of these moments before the sovereignty of God. Our perspective leaps into His frame of reference and suddenly the past looks different. He was always with us. Always present—in our deepest pain and our most freeing laughter.

We deny tragedies the right to hold more power over us than God does.

Instead of allowing negativity to throw mud on our eyes and blind us, steal from us, and turn us into gloomy, pessimistic people, we choose to believe. We choose to invite His cleansing waters to wash away anything that obscures our view. We define ourselves not by the collective pain, but by the power of our God, whose love and faithfulness always make us better, stronger, and confident.

We are not slaves to our circumstances, but valiant and courageous overcomers. This is our identity.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making Peace with Catholicism...and Other Religions

I remember it clearly - watching a reel-to-reel movie in Sister Patricia's second grade class. Although I don't remember why the girl in the movie was crying, I do remember the affect it had on me. My heart was gripped by the fact that I wanted to know God more. The church was close to our home and I liked to hangout there, hoping to find God. One of the priests found it so odd, he phoned my Mom to let her know I couldn't be there everyday. Guess I looked a bit like a 7 yr. old hoodlum with my pigtails and missing teeth. In the eighteen years I grew up in Catholicism, no one ever taught me the deep spiritual truths of knowing God. All I knew was to attend mass, say my prayers, and take communion. And I did - until I visited a "non-denominational" church and felt God's presence for the first time. I was wrecked - in a good & bad way. Not only did I find what I had been looking for, I also became judgmental towards the Catholic religion. They had le

Reigniting Your Destiny/Letting Go of the Past

Over and over again I've been hearing stories from people who are going after their dreams. Some are young and filled with a zeal for life that has met little resistance. I like hanging around young people, because it reminds me of what it is like to run after life with untamed passion. Others who have felt the excitement of life wane over the years, have recently met with the God who awakens dormant desires. They are taking giant leaps of faith to run after their dreams once again, regardless of cost. Living life with passion is always the right choice. My heart has been stirred to encourage you today! Many of you have been contemplating what it would be like to take a risk and go after your dreams - some for the first time, and others with renewed hope. Let me speak to those who believe that they are past their prime in life, and whatever goals and dreams they once had, are long gone. Stop believing the lie that life has crippled you! Life hasn't crippled you, it has

Loving God On Purpose

 "He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. " John 14:21a When I committed my life to Jesus, I really went all out. I was so in love with Him that all I wanted to do was read my Bible, ask questions, and talk to Him non-stop. I wanted nothing to do with my old lifestyle. I remember reading this first part of John 14:21 and telling myself that if my obedience to Him would prove my love for Him, then I would be the most obedient person on the earth. (Yeah, we all can have a good laugh at that one!) However, He began to teach me that it wasn't my obedience that proved my love. Obedience without love is  a slave mentality. It was my love that naturally caused a desire to be obedient. My heart's cry to know Him more and my love-sick heart were seeds of love that would blossom into branches of a new lifestyle. My desire to pray, read my Bible, etc., wasn't done out of religious obligation, it happened naturally because I couldn't g