Skip to main content

Follow Me on Facebook

Just Do It!

I fell in love with dance because it gave me a way to express what I didn't know how to say.

Writing came as I matured; as I began to believe in myself and find my voice. Now I dance and write from a deeper, more fulfilling place.

Our journey of discovery with the Lord never ends.

My dance has been a number of things over the years - worship, ministry, intercession, prophecy, etc. But it has since become more profound; more authentic. I step into Him and give Him the deepest part of myself, not as concerned about what is happening around me, or who "gets it". As I dance in heaven's atmosphere, I give the Lord an opening to reach through. It's no longer about my efforts to bring heaven to earth. I simply dance in Him and allow Him to release through me. That's it. Even now, when injuries have stolen a great deal of my movement, I am more confident than ever that those movements are filled with God's breath, power, and love.

In part I have those injuries to thank for changing me. God never brings pain and sickness, but He most certainly knows how to take them and turn them for our good. Because I couldn't dance for almost a year due to a back injury, I had to look deeper into myself to find that I was more than dance. Instead of stripping away my identity, it helped me find it. I realized I truly have a voice; that I truly carry God's presence in everything I do - even in a smile. It gave me confidence to risk failure and become a fiction writer (a secret desire I had for years).

I not only believe in myself, but I believe in the One who has given me various gifts and talents. And I trust that He knows how to convey Himself through them. Fear restrains us; keeps us from running after our dreams. Overcoming fear and stepping beyond what is comfortable, propels us forward. The more we put action to our desires, the more momentum we gain. Too many of us sit idly by, living life through imagination only. It doesn't mean we will always succeed, but it does mean we won't ever have to live with the regret of, "I should have tried." As long as we've prayed and sought the Lord, sensing no red light, we can move forward with expectancy.

So, write that book, get in shape, learn something new, run after the career of your dream, travel the world! How? Set goals, reach them, then set some more! Encourage yourself, cut yourself some slack - your going after your dreams, not taking out the garbage - it is going to take determination and time. Risk making mistakes. Change habits that steal time or push you away from your dreams. If you're learning a new skill, study, practice every single day! 

I'm convinced that if we spent as much time working towards our goals and praying into them, as we do sitting around dreaming about them, our lives would be much more fulfilling! Cheers!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You Are God's Mastepiece

Today's article is an excerpt from my book, Prayers on Fire , which I wrote with Brian Simmons. I pray it's a blessing to you. ~Gretchen    I’m mesmerized; awestruck over the beauty of your creation. The evidence of your creative genius streams from the heavens with glory. All of earth echoes your name. There is no denying that you are the Master Artist who set before us your most beautiful works of art.  The moon and stars are dazzling, brilliantly glowing against the night sky like jewels mounted in their settings. Still, I’m awed by something even more splendid than the wonders I see above. God, though you’re famous—great and powerful— you know me by name and call me your child. I am your masterpiece. My Father, whose name is known throughout the universe, you have created me to be just like you. Filled with glory, I’ll shine in the darkness, illuminating the world with your splendor and compassion. Crowned with majesty, I’ll stand in authority ...

Making Peace with Catholicism...and Other Religions

I remember it clearly - watching a reel-to-reel movie in Sister Patricia's second grade class. Although I don't remember why the girl in the movie was crying, I do remember the affect it had on me. My heart was gripped by the fact that I wanted to know God more. The church was close to our home and I liked to hangout there, hoping to find God. One of the priests found it so odd, he phoned my Mom to let her know I couldn't be there everyday. Guess I looked a bit like a 7 yr. old hoodlum with my pigtails and missing teeth. In the eighteen years I grew up in Catholicism, no one ever taught me the deep spiritual truths of knowing God. All I knew was to attend mass, say my prayers, and take communion. And I did - until I visited a "non-denominational" church and felt God's presence for the first time. I was wrecked - in a good & bad way. Not only did I find what I had been looking for, I also became judgmental towards the Catholic religion. They had le...

A Journey Into Identity

In all of the years I’ve been dancing, I have never had a season where I have learned more about dance and myself in it, than this last year. Unfortunately, it has come out of a season of injury. This has been a difficult season to navigate through in the natural, but what the enemy has tried to steal, kill, and destroy, God has turned into a time of great discovery.  I have danced since I was 4 years old. I have no memories of a life without dance (except when having babies). As a result of a life woven into a beautiful tapestry of dance, my identity has been intertwined with dance as well. When I cannot dance, I feel incomplete. However, what I’ve recently been processing with the Lord is that my identity is not that of a dancer. When God looks at me, the most significant thing He sees is not that I am a dancer. The most significant thing to Him, is that I am His child.  I am much more than dance. Within me is the convergence of two realms – Heaven and earth con...