Skip to main content

Follow Me on Facebook

Day 16 The Tension of the Cross

I've been meditating more and more on the beauty and power of the Cross.

The extreme ecstasy of blissful love and the tormenting pain of the Cross were both exemplified through Jesus. This seems a reflection of the lives of those who love Him- blissful love that quite honestly is painful to the flesh. We are spirit but we are also natural people who must take up OUR cross daily- yielding to the fact that we are DEAD to anything that hinders love. It is painful to our flesh to ignore the focus of SELF and abandon ALL- truly abandon all attitudes, mindsets, emotions, prideful ambitions, and desires for happiness MORE than our desire for Christ. 

Many of us believe in our inclusion with Him on the Cross; we are free from religious mindsets and believe in a life of Heavenly experience. We have found ourselves on many occasion lost in the rapturous bliss of Christ in us; tasting and seeing that He is good. We are love-wrecked!

But we so rarely talk about the tension between spirit and flesh. We desire Him, the moment by moment tangible glory, while simultaneously experiencing the pain of burning love deep within our spirits, that seems it will consume us with raptures. And yet for most of us, we are unable to stay TOTALLY AND AT ALL TIMES undistracted by worldly cares. (I'm not talking about a temptation for sinful living, but to stay in a place of fixated communion w/ Him.)

I believe that for many of us, the life of Brother Lawrence has been a great help. I have experienced great glory in little things like washing dishes, hanging out with my children, or even watching a secular movie! But the truth is the enemy knows what buttons to push that will steal my focus and distract my mind so that my heart will follow..even if only for a short time. I'm NOT OKAY WITH THIS!

I promised to be candid in this journey and I believe the majority of us can relate. What do we do? 
I suppose that we cannot DO much, since Christ has already done it for us!  "Now I long to know Christ and the power shown by his resurrection: now I long to share his sufferings, even to die as he died, so that I may perhaps attain as he did, the resurrection from the dead." (Phil 8:11 JB Phillips Trans) 

The inclusion of our dying with Him on the Cross  and coming alive in resurrection power with Him, is vying for our attention! To live with Christ is the reality of our lives and to be aware of it is our gift - if we  embrace the ecstasy of suffering the loss of anything that inhibits our walk with Him. 
There truly is a rapturous bliss in the pain of abandoning all things for the joy of knowing Him!

Jesus came to our rescue and all I know right now is that many of us need to become aware of the power of the Cross in our own lives. I'm not ending this blog with a new and revelatory answer that will change our lives, but with a call to refocus our attention on Jesus - the Cross as the revelatory answer!  

Comments

  1. Just saw this on a friend's post. Good stuff!!!! I'm looking foward to reading more. God is so good and so quick to use us, even when we are still "us" and not yet perfected into His image. The bittersweet bliss of suffering unto LIFE is precious...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Berta! We were made PERFECT in Christ and now we just have to walk in it each day I love how the Mirror Translation puts Col 1:28, "This is the essence and focus of our message; we awaken every man’s mind instructing every individual, bringing them into full enlightenment in order that we may exhibit the whole of mankind as PERFECT (without shortcoming and fully efficient) in Christ."
    Berta, YOU ARE PERFECT IN HIM!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making Peace with Catholicism...and Other Religions

I remember it clearly - watching a reel-to-reel movie in Sister Patricia's second grade class. Although I don't remember why the girl in the movie was crying, I do remember the affect it had on me. My heart was gripped by the fact that I wanted to know God more. The church was close to our home and I liked to hangout there, hoping to find God. One of the priests found it so odd, he phoned my Mom to let her know I couldn't be there everyday. Guess I looked a bit like a 7 yr. old hoodlum with my pigtails and missing teeth. In the eighteen years I grew up in Catholicism, no one ever taught me the deep spiritual truths of knowing God. All I knew was to attend mass, say my prayers, and take communion. And I did - until I visited a "non-denominational" church and felt God's presence for the first time. I was wrecked - in a good & bad way. Not only did I find what I had been looking for, I also became judgmental towards the Catholic religion. They had le...

You Are God's Mastepiece

Today's article is an excerpt from my book, Prayers on Fire , which I wrote with Brian Simmons. I pray it's a blessing to you. ~Gretchen    I’m mesmerized; awestruck over the beauty of your creation. The evidence of your creative genius streams from the heavens with glory. All of earth echoes your name. There is no denying that you are the Master Artist who set before us your most beautiful works of art.  The moon and stars are dazzling, brilliantly glowing against the night sky like jewels mounted in their settings. Still, I’m awed by something even more splendid than the wonders I see above. God, though you’re famous—great and powerful— you know me by name and call me your child. I am your masterpiece. My Father, whose name is known throughout the universe, you have created me to be just like you. Filled with glory, I’ll shine in the darkness, illuminating the world with your splendor and compassion. Crowned with majesty, I’ll stand in authority ...

A Journey Into Identity

In all of the years I’ve been dancing, I have never had a season where I have learned more about dance and myself in it, than this last year. Unfortunately, it has come out of a season of injury. This has been a difficult season to navigate through in the natural, but what the enemy has tried to steal, kill, and destroy, God has turned into a time of great discovery.  I have danced since I was 4 years old. I have no memories of a life without dance (except when having babies). As a result of a life woven into a beautiful tapestry of dance, my identity has been intertwined with dance as well. When I cannot dance, I feel incomplete. However, what I’ve recently been processing with the Lord is that my identity is not that of a dancer. When God looks at me, the most significant thing He sees is not that I am a dancer. The most significant thing to Him, is that I am His child.  I am much more than dance. Within me is the convergence of two realms – Heaven and earth con...